Questions pertaining to linking folders using symbolic links.

Market data, Trading, Technical support, Features requests, etc
dmavro

Questions pertaining to linking folders using symbolic links.

Post by dmavro » Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:51 pm

Hey guys,

I found this post in the forum and towards the end it talks about 'NTFS junctions'. Ive set things up in my system following the guidelines in the link that is referenced in that post and everything seems to be working correctly.  I have a few questions though....

1. It isnt mentioned in that post but i also linked the Config Folder too. Is this OK?
2. I was also wondering if there were any other folders that could or should be linked?
3. Would it be ok if i linked the folders to one drive instead and then linked my laptop and desktop to those folders, that way i could use the same configuration when im using laptop? 

Thanks in advance,

Dean

Svyatoslav
Site Admin

Re: Questions pertaining to linking folders using symbolic links.

Post by Svyatoslav » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:05 am

1. Should be fine
2. I don't foresee any issues linking other folders. It makes most sense to link large folders that require no fast IO to an HDD (feeds, data library, logs, Screenshots, maybe API depending on what you have installed) and folders that require high speed to SSD (cache). The other folders usually are small and it does not really matter where they are.
3. Never tried it. If the OS provides fully transparent mapping you might get away with it.

dmavro

Re: Questions pertaining to linking folders using symbolic links.

Post by dmavro » Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:42 pm

Svyatoslav,

Thanks for quick response! Not sure what fully transparent mapping is but for the time being im just going to try and move Config folder to OneDrive and link it to both systems and see if it works correctly.

Thanks,

Dean