Apple Silicon M1 native scolution for the mac

Add your new features and requests here.
fabse

Apple Silicon M1 native scolution for the mac

Post by fabse » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:52 am

Will there be a native M1 apple silicon version? That would improve performance by a huge margin on the new M1 machines. That said the emulated version does work nicely.

mazen231

Re: Apple Silicon M1 native scolution for the mac

Post by mazen231 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:26 pm

Agreed. I hope Bookmap will support new Apple Silicon chips. It will improve performance significantly.

mlake900

Post by mlake900 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:27 am

I've been using the free version, but if they made m1-native I'd be a lifetime subscriber

Svyatoslav
Site Admin

Post by Svyatoslav » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:23 am

Hi. Just wanted to update you on the current status: right now we are somewhat blocked by an issue with OpenGL support on M1 macs. Specifically, if compiled with M1 toolchain neither our code nor one of the Apple's own demos (which is kind-of similar to what we are doing) does not work. We have reported the issue and are waiting for it to be addressed (it's currently in "Potential fix identified - For a future OS update" status).
We might end up delivering an intermediate version without the GPU acceleration while we are waiting, but that will depend on how long the fix will take and our internal priorities and resources.

P.S. I know Apple deprecated OpenGL, but since it previously worked fine - we didn't switch away from it. Basically we'd have to go for Vulkan+MoltenVK, most likely, and that would imply significant rework of our rendering code.

fabse

Post by fabse » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:06 am

Hi,

thank you very much for the update with all the details provided. 

I am probably not telling you anything new when I say it eventually boils down to a strategic company decision on whether you want to continue the Mac OS ecosystem or not given that intel macs are essentially not build anymore and OpenGL has been deprecated long ago and also is a dead end.

I would love to switch to my Mac completely for trading but bookmap is one of the programs hindering that.