Add support to open multiple instance of Bookmap

Add your new features and requests here.
john9800

Add support to open multiple instance of Bookmap

Post by john9800 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:15 pm

As Java garbage collection causes lags and slowness to windows applications, please add support to allow users to open multiple fresh instances of Bookmap at the same time. (TOS has this feature)

This way:
1. Reduce lag and slowness
2. well organized and support for users with multiple monitors, for example one Bookmap for Future Indices on monitor 1, one Bookmap for Stocks on monitor 2

Thanks!

Svyatoslav
Site Admin

Re: Add support to open multiple instance of Bookmap

Post by Svyatoslav » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:46 am

Hi,
Thank you for suggestion. Feel free to ask more people to write here so it gets higher priority, since backlog contains lots of tasks.

About the pauses - actually it should not be as big of an issue as long as you allocate sufficient amount of memory for Bookmap (Settings->Memory allocation, 4GiB is usually enough). Allocating a lot of memory did actually increase GC pauses if you use older GC's, but G1 GC (that we use) attempts to minimize the pauses and, based on our observations, does reasonably good job in Bookmap.

The main source of slowdowns in Bookmap is recentering that currently blocks data visualization while it's being performed. If you experience long pauses while bookmap is recentering (e.g. when price gets close to edges of the view - then it will recenter) - feel free to open another feature request like "improve recentering performance".

traderwayne

Post by traderwayne » Fri May 22, 2020 3:57 am

I would like to vote for multiple instance support. 🙏🙏

My use case is to have one instance recording the live market and one instance available to run in replay mode.

dap

Post by dap » Tue May 26, 2020 10:48 am

traderwayne wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:57 am
I would like to vote for multiple instance support. 🙏🙏

My use case is to have one instance recording the live market and one instance available to run in replay mode.
I would also like to be able to record the live market while run the replay mode.
As well in a separated tab, If it's easier to develop

astuntas

Post by astuntas » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:43 pm

I have exact same question / inquiry. I am using an indicator which doesn't work with historical data. So if I want to see that indicator on the historical data before bookmap launch, I have to load it in replay mode, check it, and then restart bookmap to run with live data. 

Since I have Global+ licence, it allows me to run 2 instances at a time, but it has to be different computers. It in principle works, but running it on a different PC isn't very convenient.

I suppose it is unlikely that bookmap will update its functionality in the near future to allow two instances at the same time on the same PC.

Can somebody advice if there is any workaround possible to allow to run 2 instances on the same PC? E.g. to use virtualisation or something, to allow the second instance which would be running in the "replay" mode?

Thanks!

geoff

Post by geoff » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:02 pm

I too would like to be able to load multiple instances of Bookmap, primarily because you can only open a single connection to a Crypto exchange at a time and therefore only connect to a single live subaccount thereby limiting to only trading in one direction at a time. I would like to use Bookmap to manage two live subaccounts which will allow me to manage positions both short and long simultaneously.

geoff

Post by geoff » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:02 pm

So, I have worked out a way to get multiple instances of bookmap running on the same computer by using Sandboxie-Plus:
  1. Download and install Bookmap
  2. Download and install Sandboxie-Plus: https://sandboxie-plus.com/downloads/
  3. Run Bookmap and setup your account plus plugins and connectors etc...
  4. Close Bookmap
  5. Run Sandboxie-Plus and create boxes for each instance of Bookmap you want to run (eg: Long, Short)
  6. For each copy of Bookmap you want to run, create a shortcut as follows (replace <BOX NAME> with the desired box):
    1. Target: "C:\Program Files\Sandboxie-Plus\Start.exe" /box:<BOX NAME> "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Bookmap\Bookmap.lnk"
    2. Start In: C:\Bookmap\Config
You can now launch Bookmap within a sandboxed environment via these shortcuts, which means you can enter a different set of account details, update the configurations individually, etc etc. If you need to update Bookmap I would advise doing this by running the program directly and clearing out all the modified files from within the boxes (then re-setting them up).

For each copy of Bookmap running you will need a separate paid subscription.