Moving Average Package

zcsoka

Moving Average Package

Post by zcsoka » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:43 am

The Add-on contains different versions of moving averages. (If you would like to see other moving average types in this package, feel free to mention it in this thread)

(A new version is getting tested which runs on backfilled data and does not need ENTER to change numerical values, if you are interested, please see post https://bookmap.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... t=20#p5884)

Please remark the the add-on requires Bookmap 7.2+.

Each moving average (MA) can have up to 5 instances based on the same bar length (different period, colour, thickness, etc.) they can be either displayed or hidden. The basic package contains the following Moving Averages:

SMA (Smoothed Moving Average)
EMA (Exponential Moving Average)
LWMA (Linearly Weighted Moving Average)
AEMA (Adaptive Exponential Moving Average)

MA_teaser.png
MA_teaser.png (227.26 KiB) Viewed 20395 times

In the jar package all MA types are represented as individual indicators, they can be added separately:

MA_selector.png
MA_selector.png (20.19 KiB) Viewed 20395 times

The settings panel lets you configure the MA instances as described below:

MA_configuration.png
MA_configuration.png (64.64 KiB) Viewed 20395 times

(Please do not forget to hit Enter if you change numerical fields)

Bar Interval:  The Moving Average bar interval for the calculation. It is the same for all instances of this moving average type. The settings are tailored for day traders and scalpers therefore shorter periods are available (1s, 2s, 5s, 10s, 30s, 1m, 5m)
Indicator Instance: To choose one of the five instances to configure. All configuration options below apply to the chosen indicator instance
Visibility: Display or hide the indicator instance
Period length: MA period length (positive round number)
Line type: Drawing type (Solid, Short Dash, Long Dash, Dot Dot-dash)
Line width: Drawing thickness of the line
Indicator color: Choose the color of the line.

Please remark, that the Widgets are turned off by default to avoid clutter, they can be enabled in the Bottom Section's configuration
Last edited by zcsoka on Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

peppamill

Re: Moving Average Package

Post by peppamill » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:52 am

Great..great..great
thnakyou so much, I have been trying fro over 6 months to get this developed and have offered money to so many developers.
I reached out to some developers at BM to develop and said they were doing it for me, byut still nop responses as to when.
But...the =only diffrerence was I was trying to get a fill colour between 2 EMAs (ie clouds) BM has said this is possible to implement.
Is there any chance you can include this in your setting, it stops the clutter on charts if I have many emas etc, and is a main teaching of a mentor ie JLines
Again..well done and many thanks

zcsoka

Post by zcsoka » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:19 am

Hi Peppamill,

Do you want to colour the area between 2 EMAs on the main chart or on the bottom one? Even if it is possible, it would be different plugin, since this one does not have the features to correlate multiple EMAs, it is prepared for visualisation. Could you please elaborate on how you imagine such a plugin? If you have the specifications, please feel free to Private Message me.

Toni1936

Post by Toni1936 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:52 am

Hello,

I just downloaded the Moving Average Paket.
The Period ist always 14.
It can not changed to 20 or 50
Info

Thanks
Toni 

arkiadrian

Post by arkiadrian » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:59 pm

Hi, I purchased the indicator. Is there a way or maybe a version where the Indicator's widget is off? It clutters the widget area. I just need it in the graph. Thanks.

zcsoka

Post by zcsoka » Sun May 16, 2021 1:43 pm

Sorry for the late answer, the notification did not work correctly. 

Regarding the length settings, as it is mentioned in the description, please hit enter when changing the value.

Regarding the widgets, The add-ons have no control over the widget display, it is a standard feature of Bookmap, therefore I am afraid I  cannot provide a version where it is not displayed. 

kammodo

Post by kammodo » Mon May 17, 2021 10:45 am

I had an initial issue where the MA was not appearing. This seems to have gone away.
I do have a question about the bar interval and period length
Is it accurate for me to say that if I am trading on a 30second chart and I want to have the 1min 9EMA, I simply select bar interval as 30seconds and the period length as 18 ? So double the 30 sec 9EMA to simulate 1min 9EMA ?
Or on my 30s chart I select EMA bar interval as 1min and period as 9?

zcsoka

Post by zcsoka » Mon May 17, 2021 11:49 am

Dear Kammodo,

Please remark, that unlike all other trading and charting platforms, Bookmap has no concept of bars, every add-on implements its own bar representation. If you choose the Bookmap built in Candlesticks, it will be fully independent of the EMA bar interval. Whatever you choose in this plugin, that period bars will be built for you behind the scenes (invisible bars). So, if you want to see 1 min bar based 9 period EMA, then in this add-on please choose 1 min for the Bar Interval and set 9 for the period.
Does it answer your question?

kammodo

Post by kammodo » Mon May 17, 2021 3:57 pm

Maybe put another way. Normally on my chart timeframe for candlesticks, I trade with 30second bars with a 18 period EMA, which means the EMA looks identical on a 1min chart at 9EMA.
Double the bars, double the period length.
I use 30second bars on BM also. If I wanted to achieve the same as above, what settings must I use?
From your explanation, I believe you might be saying that I can use a 30second chart with 1min time selected in the widget and select 9EMA period to achieve this?

zcsoka

Post by zcsoka » Mon May 17, 2021 5:09 pm

Hi Kammodo,

It cannot be. Doubling the period and halving the time frame cannot result in the same EMA. EMA means exponential, so the latest close is exponentially weighted against the previous closes, so it will adapt quicker than the normal MA, but it will still calculate with a different data set for the average. The average is calculated based on the bar close, with bigger period you will have double the data points. If you are trading a not too volatile market (ex.: ES) you will not realise the difference, but if you trade something more dynamic (FDAX, NQ), the lines will diverge. Mathematically what you are stating is not true.
Regarding your last statement, yes, you can set in the add-on the Bar interval to 1 min and the period to 9 and it will draw that EMA independent of you candelstick settings.